Transtector, PolyPhaser, and our customers deal with lightning and surge protection in our jobs every day, focusing on protecting network equipment. In the lightning season, however, a reminder about personal safety never hurts.
Here are the basics, courtesy of the National Weather Service:
- Get inside as soon as you hear thunder.
- Avoid open areas.
- Stay away from isolated tall trees, towers or utility poles. Lightning tends to strike the taller objects in an area.
- Stay away from metal conductors such as wires or fences. Metal does not attract lightning, but lightning can travel long distances through it.
- If you are with a group of people, spread out. This helps to prevent multiple casualties in the event of a strike, as well as increasing the potential for individuals to help.
- If someone is struck, call 9-1-1 immediately. People who are struck by lightning do not carry a charge, so first aid/CPR (if trained) is the first step.
- If possible, move the victim to a safe place.
Much more information is available through the National Weather Service. Click here to visit weather.gov.
PolyPhaser and Transtector Surge Protection Experts Are Available to assist in providing the right technology for your network application. Contact Us